Wednesday 17 January 2018

Milford Track - Stats & Maps

Tracking for this trip is WAY off, as I discovered once home that my iPhone likes to take aimless wanders into the local area when tracking on Map My Walk (for example, my 3.5km walk from daycare to work is apparently 4.6km on iPhone MMW, joy).
But, here's what I have, because this is now what I do.


Day ONE - Overall a good pace, we paused a lot to admire birds and the river near Glade Lodge, which slowed us down in that km, but given we only had a few km to walk and full packs, we mostly just kept moving.
Fitbit: 20,417 steps
MapMyWalk: 5.53km, 63m gain, 8,924 steps while walking, 4,322kJ
DoC: 5km (plus wetland walk)


Day TWO - the 4th km was our biggest gain (160m), but the last 2.5km included nearly 300m gain between them, and between that and the heat, we slowed down a chunk - our only slower km was the one where we put our packs down to whip into Pomplona Lodge to check if the wallet we found belonged there, and the tracker was left on in my pack. A constant, steady uphill with little to no respite. Interesting that MMW suggested more steps than I actually took - I've never had that happen before.
Fitbit: 32,496 steps
MapMyWalk: 20.55km, 763m gain, 37,531 steps while walking, 19,430kJ
DoC: 16.5km (plus two short side trails to waterfalls, probably 1km return each max)


Day THREE - I am enormously sad at just how much I can't trust the tracking on this day. According to MMW, we climbed nearly 1100m, including several stints of 200+m vertical in a km, when I know we were mostly downhill or along a ridge. The tracking looks like my 4yo tried to follow the line.
Fitbit: 37,628 steps
MapMyWalk: 24.32km, 1,083m gain, 47,312 steps while walking, 25,221kJ
DoC: 14km (plus Southerland Falls - about 1.5km each way)


Day FOUR - A steady day. A few slow kms, and a couple of spots where the iPhone just really could not get the tracking right, but it wasn't as far our as the day across the tops. At least the general gist of the tracks are right.
Fitbit: 37,377 steps
MapMyWalk: 20.68km, 329m gain, 35,333 steps while walking, 17,682kJ
DoC: 18km (no side tracks)
Example of one of the loops on the tracker

No comments: