Tuesday 31 January 2017

Khandallah Bridle Path and Odell Reserve

17 April 2016
Just me
6.4km, 1hr28min, total gain 201m, Trelissick Crescent to Perth Street


Heading directly out from home for a second long walk in as many days (yay for Spike being away with my parents for the weekend), I was a little nervous about this one. I knew there was a solid climb, and a bit where I wasn’t sure of the route.

I opted to be off-road as much as possible for this one, so went into Trelissick Park from Trelissick Cres, and down into the lower valley to walk down to the bottom of Kaiwharawhara Road. Sure enough, I got lost in Kaiwharawhara trying to find the start of the Bridle Path (my maps suggested it would be up one dead end, up it was access just around the corner from the entrance to that dead end instead).

Thus began a long, fairly continuous climb. Hills are still not my friend, plus I was still recovering from my ankle injury, so I took a few breaks. The view from parts of the Bridle Trail is pretty neat. I would almost be tempted to go back for some evening photography at some stage, if that didn’t mean hauling 5+kg of camera gear up the hill with me!


Given the sunny, warm weather, I was really glad that the Bridle Trail was in shade – I was reminded how glad I was of that when I got off the trail and up into Khandallah, where I was back in the sunshine and got very hot very quickly, slowing right down.

I debated with myself the whole way to the entrance for Odell Reserve as to whether I was going up and over, or continuing down Punjab Street and on to Cockayne Road for the rest of the walk home. I opted to continue up and over the hill, at least in part to get to enjoy the trail through the bush above Old Porirua Road, which was in fine condition and I think has had some work done on it since we last used it – although that was probably in times pre-Spike.

From here, it was all down hill till the bottom of my driveway. An enjoyable and challenging loop, suitable for starting anywhere. I think the easier way to do it would be in reverse to the way I did it – a moderate climb to start and end with lots of downhill in the middle, rather than short downhills and a relentless climb in the middle.

No comments: